Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chillax (an oddly appropriate word)

Just got back from the FLA and NJ trip. Ran around a half mile parking lot a bunch of times in New Jersey. While that state has, I'll admit, some nice places, whenever I've been there on business or just passing through, it seems like the singularly ugliest place on the planet. The people are always nice, though, and we had an excellent trade show and some great vegan food at our fav NJ sushi bar and at a vegan bakery in Rutherford.

We then flew to Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. It is situated on the Atlantic coast between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. You have seen it before, because its main golf course is where the Players tournament is held. It is the famous course with the hole that is surrounded by water.

I'm not a fan of golf. I'd describe it more as a game than a sport. I also am not a fan of golf culture and clothing. However, as I relaxed into the place it occurred to me that the people who go to resorts like that are there to relax. That might seem like a given. But it is actually something a bit foreign to me. Whenever I have time off, I want to go somewhere to see something, learn something about the world of art, literature or history. I want to be challenged physically and mentally. I don't want to go somewhere and just chill. But that is what happens at a gold resort. People chill. And I've got to say that, while I don't do that, I respect it. How much great literature is based upon this type of behavior? That was a rhetorical question, but the answer is - a lot. People used to go to the beach to read and chill, eat well, spend time with the family, and simply slow down. I don't do that enough (or really at all). And I'd like to.

So, my plan is to try to take a vacation for a few days sometime this year and just relax by a pool, stream, ocean, mountain, or desert somewhere. Just don't ask me to play golf....

In Florida, I did wake each morning and knock out a 5 miler along the beach. What a pristine part of the coast - not yet overrun by development. Jacksonville was a nice city. Ponte Vedra has the best beaches in Florida (and I've been to a lot of Florida Beaches). And St Augustine is an absolute jewel of a city. While Florida would never be in my top 20 places to be, I could actually live comfortably in any of the three places where we visited. I'll try to have pictures next week.

Also next week - THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT. Til then...

1 comment:

  1. I was in Ft. Lauderdale last year and either ran or walked every morning..just the view along the beach was motivation enough to make me want to get out...looking forward to the big announcement!!

    ReplyDelete