Monday, March 21, 2011

R.A.T. (Running, Art, Tennis)

Ah, the weather has become delightful. Spring makes for some nice varied running in heat, cold, wind, sunshine, and storms. After a slew of short runs during the week, I popped a 6 miler on Saturday to shake off the cobwebs. It was a nice run that passed by quickly because I felt good and wanted to kick it a bit. I couldn't find my MP3 player and, for the first time in a long time on a solo run, I ran sans earphones. If I had been thinking, however, I would've cut the run a bit shorter and slowed down, because Chris Ford is training to place in the KS Half Marathon (no pressure when you read this, Chris), and on Sunday we went for a planned training run. The run covered all types of surfaces. I had planned a 10-ish mile jaunt that had sections on gravel, grass, asphalt and concrete.

I don't normally have tiredness issues, but after my run the day before, the Sunday run with Chris crept up and spanked me hard. I spent the rest of the day napping, watching tennis on the couch, and later, the Jayhawks making it to the round of 16.

While I'm talking about Chris, I should mention that he has an art show this coming Friday evening at the Hobbs Taylor lofts in Lawrence starting around 6pm. You can also see his work at www.urbanstump.com (a site that is still under construction but will give you an idea). The show is open to the public, so come on down.

And, while I'm talking about tennis, if you get a chance to catch the men's doubles finals from Indian Well, do it. I wax poetic, but it was possibly the greatest (and certainly most interesting) doubles match I've ever seen as Alexandr Dolgolopov and Xavier Malisse defeated Stanislas Wawrinka and Roger Federer. On point in particular in the second set was unlike any I had ever seen. Dolgolopov, who first came to light in the Australian earlier in the year, proved he's for real, winning the first ATP title of his young career.

No comments:

Post a Comment