Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Kneed Relief

I finally broke down and am paying an internet billionaire's ransom for a series of hyaluronic acid injections into my right knee. On the long run on Sunday, I suffered a sharp pain at one point - signifying that the slow progression of OA (osteo arthritis) had reached a new plateau.

So once a week for the next 3 weeks, I go in and have a shot in my knee. It kind of freaked me out yesterday when I went in for the first time. Seeing the needle come at my knee was slightly more than I could stand to watch.

Once complete, the treatment will last up to six months before I have to suck down another deductible and do it all over again.

For those interested in reading more about this, go here http://www.orthovisc.com/
The site looks pretty seriously geriatric. But between running and tennis I've been pretty hard on my joints. A little OA in one knee is a small price to pay (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment