Sunday, December 9, 2012

Disc Golf and Trails

I'm getting ready to head out for a short recovery run before the weather turns really cold later today.  I had a nice week of 3.5-8 mi daily runs.  The weather was cooperative.  I also played the best round of disc golf I had ever done.  It was over par.  But it was over par in the mid-single digits (6).  I had one approach that may have been the best I've ever done.  We do a lot of running and walking for disc golf,so I always feel as if I get a second workout on days I play.

Anyway, I met a large group of runners at Clinton at 7 a.m. yesterday.  We split into two groups and set out for a 10mi out and 5mi back run (basically out 10 on the white course and back 5 on the, more direct, blue trail).  It was a good run, if a bit slow at the outset.  The conversation was great, and the weather, cold yet not unpleasant.  I ran with the lead group until Lands End, about 6.5 mi into the course.  Then, I somehow missed the continuation.  I latched on to the second group until the 10 mile marker.  At that point I figured I'd just run the final 5 miles back on my own.  So I took my leave and shortly thereafter passed a sign that signalled that there were actually 6 mi left to run.  Honestly, the difference between 15 and 16 miles is not that great.  But ten miles into a run, it is a little disheartening.

Since there was nothing else to do, and because I didn't really have to be anywhere, I soon got over my surprise and settled into the return run.  I am not a fan of the Clinton trails, but I found that there were parts of the return run that I really enjoyed.  The miles ticked off pretty quickly, which was good, because I actually started to get pretty cold on the run back.  I had gotten pretty sweaty, which led to me being pretty soaked, which led to me needing to run faster to generate more heat, which led to more sweat.  Vicious cycle...

When I got home I took a seriously hot shower and ate a couple of steamed vegan tamales as my reward for the run.  I promised myself that I would take Sunday off.  But now it is Sunday, and there is no way I'm taking today off.  I might take tomorrow off and swim in the indoor pool 100 yards from my back door because it is supposed to be seriously cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment