Monday, June 13, 2011

Year's Longest Run to Date

After returning from Monterey (see pvs post), I took Saturday off from running. I pulled out my trusty aluminum/carbon Specialized Sequoia and went for a short ride. I wasn't really feeling it - having returned home at 3:30 in the a.m. the night before after a seriously delayed flight at LAX.

So after sleeping off and on Saturday, I awoke Sunday and decided to knock out my normal weekly long run (10 ish miles). I grabbed a water bottle and a Cliff Shot and headed out the door. I noted that I was still a little tired, but the weather was incredible, and the tunes on my MP3 were groovy. At about 4.5 miles into the run, I realized I was going to be joining some of the Ironmen - the triathlon seemed to be happening on (or next to) a portion of my route. That was kind of cool. I got to see some of the top dogs of the sport cruise by on their bikes. A traffic cop shouted that I was looking good. And I must've been, because I felt great. It has been a while since I've had a wave of euphoria sweep over me during a run.

At the 8 mile mark, with two miles left to go, I decided to add an additional 6 miles to the run. Rather than making a final turn toward home, I simply kept going. My breathing stayed even and my energy was high (although I did wish that I had brought another energy shot with me). I had a slight pain in my left knee (usually my right one is the problem), but I pushed it aside.

Even with the wind directly in my face for the final two miles, the run was significantly easier than many I have done this year. It is so odd how a body works. I can be fit and rested and have terrible runs. I can be hungover (not a normal occurrence) and have a great run. I can never tell how it will turn out until I'm in the middle of it.

And so goes the story of my longest run so far in 2011. I plan to do a couple of training runs with the Trail Hawks because I am eyeing the Lunar run. If anyone has done that, please let me know what your experience was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment