Monday, January 10, 2011

Football

Thanks to all who wrote posted comments or wrote in after the last post - Indi and Katie, in particular. I'm now using a hybridized workout plan that doesn't seem to mess up my knee (any more than it already is), or bother my tennis elbow too much.

The past week was actually very good for running. I did several runs heading out of Lawrence on the river levee, and then returning on the trails. The runs made for a nice change of pace from the normal road pounding I do in training. I only had one run on pavement out of the 6 I did last week.

So Saturday rolled around, and I stepped out my door to do a long run. I live in a pretty high point for Lawrence, with open lots and fields backing up to my house. Saturday, as I stepped outside, the wind blowing through the 20F temps made me change my mind. I thought, why not do what my running buddy, Chris, does on Saturdays? Instead of running, he gets together with a group of 20 and 30 somethings, and plays flag football. The field they use is in a lower section of the city, much more sheltered from the wind. I thought it might be a nice change.

Many of you will recall last year when I played with these guys in the snow and returned absolutely brutalized and traumatized by the experience. Over the next month, I lost three toenails that had been crushed inside my shoe. I was sore, and had bad bruises. In short, not a fun time.

But, for some reason, I thought this past Saturday would be a good time to go try it again. I mean, after all, there was no snow.

I'm not going to go into the whole ordeal of sucking me sucking wind for two hours, as the younger guys pushed me around. Today, though, I do have a lot of cuts and bruises. Those coupled with some muscle strains have made the past 36 hours or so very unpleasant. At least my toes are intact...

Snow is falling. My plan this week is to get some runs in on treadmills or ski machines. Friday is going to be in the 30s, so that is the outdoor run day. 'Til next week, stay warm and healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Staying warm is going to be the key this week!! Great workout and mixing things up is a good thing. My scheduled trail runs this week might be a little tricky, being flexible is key in training i guess:)have a great week!

    ReplyDelete