Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'm all over the place this week...bear with me

I'll start with some asides: I think Diana Ross's Supremes could've done a better job than the US Supreme Court did last week in its campaign finance decision. My, my... the day democracy died. By the Court's convoluted logic, it seems a corporation could actually be appointed to a seat on the court itself. What a pack of _______ (you can fill in the blank yourself).

The Prop 8 trial in Cali has come to a close. It is my hope that the H8ers will see their terrible initiative (if you can call something that denies others a basic right an initiative) overturned.

Finally, Oh! Bama... come on, man. Let's get some real change. Keep up the fight for health coverage for all, let's create jobs by encouraging green industries, high-speed rail, sustainable agriculture, bio-sciences (a nod to my friend Brad Kemp), and hold the line on global warming.

Now for my passion.... what, you can't remember? I'm shocked.

I had a few good runs outside this week. The weather held to the 30s and 40s. I used to never run if the temp was under 50, but rolfing (which helped my breathing), and the crappiness of this winter (which forced running in extreme conditions), made me rethink my temperature-to-run ratio restrictions.

The new Mizunos work great. I've been very happy with their support, lightness, and durability. I also, for once with a running shoe, like the way they look. I wanted to get a vegan shoe, and there is a great selection of those from most companies.

This weekend, Chris Ford (my track star running buddy) and I are going to run a 10k race in KCs Subtropolis. I've always wanted to do the run, but have either been too out of shape, or too out of town to do the run. For those of you who don't know, the Subtropolis is a huge underground storage area underneath swaths of the KC metro area. Hollywood films and large amounts of postage stamps and other things are stored there by the government and companies the world over. It grows larger every year. It is large enough, obviously, to have a 10k run in it. The temp remains constant. So, on Jan 31, we'll be assured of covering the distance in shorts and t-shirts. I'll have a report on it next week. To learn more about the subtropolis, go here: http://www.huntmidwest.com/subtropolis/index.html .

I'm also considering doing the Kansas Marathon in April. I'll at least do the half if I'm around. I have a friend named Joe who is doing the full-on marathon who has an interesting way of training for it. He has a three day a week regimen that seems to be working really well for him. I'll try to have more on that in a future post. He described it for me yesterday, but I need to read a bit more in order to pass along accurate information. If you want to read a story about him, follow this link: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/jan/25/runner-uses-father-inspiration-he-prepares-years-k/ . In my opinion, Joe also happens to roast and brew the finest coffee available in Lawrence. If you like coffee, check out his shop, J&S Coffee.

Finally for a true non-sequiter: Why couldn't the woman who fell into the Picasso this week have been standing next to a Botero or a De Kooning?

And finally finally: Check out the new book by Patti Smith. I read an excerpt from it a couple of days ago, and was touched by her viewpoint, honesty and humility. Whether or not you like her music or poetry, the book encapsulates an important time period in the development of post-beat art and music in NYC.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment