Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mots - Mabe Bon, Maybe Non


I saw Calexico last night. What a fun band!  The opening act, a band called Bahamas, was also fantastic.  Originally, I had tickets to see Morrissey.  But as the week wore on and he seemed to be getting sicker and sicker in the pages of the paper, all bets were off.  The evening was a total blast.  I ran into friends of all types – some I hadn’t seen in a while, one who’s moving to Oregon shortly, a former trainer of mine, a musician acquaintance, etc…  Anyway, if you haven’t seen or heard Calexico, you should at least try them out on Spotify.

The week in running was less successful. The long run I had planned for Saturday fizzled. I had a headache before the run even started, and then felt an asthma attack coming on within the first mile.  I slid right out the back of the pack and slowed down to keep the wheezes at bay.  I managed to get in between 4-5 miles, but it was about half of what I had planned.  Today I waited until the warmest part of the day and popped out to the trails again, this time in shorts and a long sleeve shirt.  I only wanted to do 5-6 miles which turned out to be a good workout because the trails had turned to mud.  My shoes continuously picked up a pound or two every hundred yards.  Parts of the trail looked like the muddy old battlefieldf pics from WWI.  I still managed to crank out 5 miles and enjoyed the heck out of the run.  I don’t like running in mud.  But since there was nothing that could be done about it, I thought I might as well try to enjoy it.

I got a bit of swimming in this week as well.  I’ve really taken to hitting the pool whenever it gets too cold outside.  I’ll run in frigid conditions sometimes, but if there is an option like the pool, I’ll opt for it on a pretty regular basis.  It is either a sign of aging, or good sense (I'm not sure which).

Finally: If you have Netflix and are looking for a good movie, check out Nate and Margaret.  It is one of the best little movies I’ve seen in some time.  It follows the friendship of a kind of awkward gay college student and a 52 year old aspiring comedienne who lives in the apartment next door.   It doesn’t sound promising, but it will surprise you as you laugh and cry your way through it.

Until next time: Nonne descendite adulteri

No comments:

Post a Comment