Sunday, January 6, 2013

Solo Trails in the Snow

After a week of light running as a result of the flu, I had planned to come back with Coleen's Frozen Ass Run on Saturday night.  But late in the week, I still had a bit of a cough, and was still feeling a little tired in the mornings.  I decided not to push the issue.  If I were to show up at the event, I was pretty certain I'd overdo it.  So, for the fist time in four events, I blew off one of my two favorite runs of the year (the other being Coleen's Sweaty Ass Run in the Summer).

I fell back to the 8.75 mi River Trail loop.  I knocked it out both Saturday and Sunday mornings and felt fine.   I felt so good, in fact, that I questioned my decision to pass on Coleen's.  But in the early afternoon on Sunday, a weariness (that I don't normally feel after a run) set in.  I had to take a nap to get it together.  So, maybe I did the right thing after all.

The runs were both glorious, with ice and snow making the run slightly more challenging.  I also pretty much had the trail to myself both days.  Deer made their presence known on a couple of occasions, but otherwise I only saw a couple of cyclists and one other runner.  Just the type of running I like best.  So, if I did have to give up my favorite group run, at least I replaced it with top-notch solo runs that I prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment