Thursday, February 2, 2012

Odd Sight

I just wanted to have a quick mid-week post to talk about an odd sighting. On a River Trail run on Tuesday, we saw a bald eagle. But, this being Lawrence, KS, that wasn't the oddity. A few days before on a run along the same trails, I saw a full on snake skin that I assumed had blown off a tree or out of some hole. It was an odd time of year to see a snake skin - it being January, and no snakes around. But then on the Tuesday run, I was following along behind Chris Ford when I heard a rustling in the grass next to my foot. I stopped. And Chris, noticing that I had stopped, halted as well. He asked what it was, and I said it had to be a snake. A quick dig through the grass revealed a decent-sized garter snake - on Jan. 31. It was quite a shock.

So, watch where you step this Winter. Some snakes are slithering when they should be slumbering.

No comments:

Post a Comment