Tuesday, February 23, 2010

44 Can Be Divided By 11 (my fav #)

Wow, this winter will not go gently into that... ummm... night.?!?! I've had a weird cold over the past few days, but have been able to keep up an abbreviated running routine. I decided today, as I was filling out an online registration form, to run the Kansas Half-Marathon rather than the full Marathon in mid-April. It had been almost a coin toss for me, but I ultimately didn't think I wanted to trust my training to the whims of the weather in order to crank up the mileage I'd need to be able to comfortably knock out the 26.2. I also had happened to chat with a couple of friends this a.m. who are also doing the 1/2, so it should be a fun time.

In other news, I had been offered a well-paying job in Australia last week. I've been thinking about it a lot over the past days. After initially accepting, I'm having strong reservations as to the distance and logistical difficulties involved. I had a couple of other conversations about good jobs with colleagues, and they (oddly in this economy) think my prospects are great. I'm comfortable where I am for now, but if the right bus comes by my door, I may just get on. If I am to do something else, money won't be the lure. It has to be a good fit with a company or non-profit that cares about environmental or social justice issues, and puts some of its time and money toward those causes. I also want to be in some proximity to friends and family. And, finally, I want more time to run, write, and maybe get back a bit more into playing some music.

Anyway, enough about that. Yesterday was my birthday. At 44 I think I'm in the best shape I've ever been in for my age. I'm enjoying all aspects of my life (except for work) - art (screen printing) is going well, reading wonderful books, writing more fiction, got propositioned by someone I think I'm going to start seeing (hah - if you've read this far you have found the real news in this post from a confirmed bachelor), and really have been enjoying the Winter Olympics (men's and women's ski cross, short track and downhill skiing in particular).

So 44 and all's well. More next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment