Monday, July 1, 2013

3 R's - Running Reading Racing

I got in a couple of runs over the weekend.  One of them was good.  The other, not so much.  That happens.   If half my runs could be as good as the good one was, I'd be a pretty lucky person.  I saw two deer.  One on the trails on Saturday, and one in my back yard before I had even left for the run.  Unlike the past week, I had no issue with horse flies.  I had thought about what might have triggered the two attacks, and came to the conclusion that dark shirts might have been a deciding factor.  Both Sat and Sun I ran in light-colored shirts.  The result: not one fly was spotted.

I finished Albert Camus' A Happy Death.  The book was one of his first written, but wasn't published until after Camus had died.  I have mixed feelings about publishing works that writers had not wanted to have published. On the one hand, it is great to see and know everything the writer wrote.  On the other, the previously unpublished works can change a reader's view of the writer's oeuvre or not present the writer's actual intent.  It is a fine line.  I must say that I thought Camus' The First Man was a fantastic example of a work that should have been published posthumously.  Camus was writing it at the time he died, and had clearly wanted to have the work published.  A Happy Death, might not fall into the same category.

I decided to take a short break from the Camus fest of late, and started a book of short stories by Sartre - The Wall (Le Mur).  As with some other writers and thinkers, Sartre is never at the forefront of my mind when I go to pick up something to read at the store.  But every time I do read him, I am not disappointed.

I finished out the weekend hanging out with my friends at the VeloTek pavilion at 8th and Mass during the Tour Of Lawrence criterium.  It was a great vantage point from which to view all of the races.  VeloTek is a good all-ages team.  The teams riders did very well in most races (including a victory) from the low categories up to the pro race.  If you missed the Tour this year, look for it ti be going on right around the 4th of July in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment