Monday, June 10, 2013

Geneva and Paris

                                            Geneva - Seen from atop the Cathedral

It has been some time since I last posted.  But, if you are a regular reader, you will know that I have been working on a novel.  Story-telling and composition of the work has taken up a lot of my time.  I've also been travelling.

In May I went to Geneva for business, and then Paris for pleasure.  I had the chance to run in both cities - Geneva, along the waterfront each morning, and Paris, from our flat in the 7th to Les Invalides to the Grand and Petit Palais (or Palaix - I'm not sure how to pluralize that) and then back.  All the runs were great experiences, even in the cold and rain.

Paris, my favorite city, again did not disappoint.  The Orsay and Montmartre were probably tops for me.  But I found many pleasant days were spent simply wandering through various neighborhoods, and not at the tourist traps like the Louvre and Notre Dame.

The grandeur of the city is always um, grander than can be described.  Our flat (I was travelling with friend and biz partner, Marisa and her husband, Chris), was stunning (thanks AirBnB), with just the right blend of ancient and modern.  The location, almost equidistant between the Jardins Luxembourg and the Orsay was perfect as a launching point for forays into the farthest corners of the city.

I dropped too many Euros at Shakespeare and Co.  I also couldn't walk by a bakery without buying a baguette (and we stopped at two bakeries that had won the best baguette in France competition in different years - those were some fricken good baguettes).  Ile de la Cite and Ile Saint Louis were great places to stroll and people watch.  The Marais was great for Centre Pompidou and sitting and splitting a bottle of red with a friend also visiting the city at the same time.

All in all, a fantastic experience.  I hope to get back this year and spend another week in October (after the tourist crush has subsided).

No comments:

Post a Comment